The core problem to be addressed by the project is that the subject on Climate Change (CC) mitigation and adaptation is not included in the national education curriculum and no activities supporting the CC mitigation and adaptation initiatives are implemented at schools. The Department of Curriculum Development (DCD), which is responsible for developing and updating general education program, including curriculum, text books, and other educational materials, is interested in developing some education training materials on CC, integrating a CC subject into the education curriculum and establishing some mechanism to raise awareness and to practice basic CC mitigation and adaptation activities. However, the DCD still lacks some resources and experience to do this independently and needs cooperation with some organizations which have them.
To improve the capacities of secondary school teachers and students so that they can participate in climate change mitigation and adaptation response. The project has two specific objectives which include:
- to improve the knowledge of education officers, teachers, and secondary school students on climate change through the integration of a climate change subject into the national education curriculum;
- to initiate basic climate change mitigation and adaptation practices in the education sector through the establishment of climate-smart Eco-Schools (ES).
- The capacity of educational administrators, teachers and students on climate change are built;
- A subject on climate change is integrated into the national education curriculum;
- The capacity of the staff of the Department of Curriculum DevelopmentEducation, Youth and Sports (MOEYS) in project development, management and monitoring is built;
- Demonstration of ES for introducing basic CC mitigation and adaptation initiatives are established; and
- Establish ES as demonstration sites to implement activities which support climate change mitigation and adaptation initiatives.
- Kampot: Kampong Trach, Angkorchey district
- Kampong Chhnang: Teup Phos, Ror Leapear district
- Svay Rieng: Romdoul, Rormeas Heak district
- Steung Treng: Thalaboravath and Steung Trengdistrict
The project's direct beneficiaries include:
- 20 education decision makers/officers from relevant departments at ministerial level;
- 60 education officers/teachers at sub-national level;
- 300 EC members (50% females) selected from grad 10 and/or 11 students,
- 1800 students (47% female) of grade 12 and
- 7171 secondary school pupils (50% female).
In partnership with Mlup Baitong (MB) and the Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), the project will be implemented in four provinces including Kampot, Kampong Chhnang, Stung Treng, and Svay Rieng which represent the geographic areas of costal, Tonle Sap, floodplain, and plateau.
The DCD will collaborate closely with its partner, MB, in planning and implementing this project by utilizing MB’s expertise in developing basic CC lessons, teaching aids, and other training materials; providing capacity building on CC to beneficiaries; and implementing, monitoring and evaluating the project.
Mlup Baitong (MB)
Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA)
|Level of Intervention
|Budget and Duration
Total Budget: US$ 369,000
GSSD/CCCA Contribution: US$ 350,000
Co-Financing: US$ 19,000
Duration: 36 months
(1st Oct. 2015 – 30th Sep. 2018)
Mr. Sun Bunna, Deputy Director
Department of Curriculum Development (DCD), Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MOEYS)
St. 380, Sangkat Boeung Keng Kang 1, Chamkar Morn, Phnom Penh, Cambodia